Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Fatty Challenge!

The time has come. My pants are cutting in around the waist, giving me an assortment of rolls and bumps that I've never had before. I am finding it tricky to choose what to wear to be both comfortable and to disguise the expanding girth. Without a serious intervention I am going to keep on expanding. I have to change my lifestyle rather than starve myself. I'm sure there wouldn't be a dietitian that would disagree with that. In previous attempts to lose weight I have:
  • Eaten nothing except the odd bit of junk food until tea time. Worked, but really bad for my metabolism and brain function.
  • Gym. I went to the gym for ages. Didn't lose a kilo, but got pretty fit and strong. I stopped going because it was costing so much. Plus I got really hungry and couldn't practise cello after doing weights.
  • Dietitian. Trotted along for ages and learnt what to do, but didn't lose anything.
  • Went to Weightwatchers. Went along to meetings religiously with a bunch of porky and not so porky women, and one huge man. Lost 4 kg and then started gaining again. Got sick of the same people going up the front to get their little badges, bookmarks, stars etc.

The Problem

I am a serious emotional eater. And with an anxiety disorder I feel a lot of stress. When I get stressed I want to eat to feel good. Good old Weightwatchers talked about this, but I'm a hard core case. If I wasn't so sensible I think I'd probably head down the eating disorder route. I'd be bulimic I think. Fortunately I'm far to busy to spend time binging and barfing. I can happily eat a King Sized block of Cadbury chocolate and a family sized bag of chips in one sitting. Or a whole packet of chocolate biscuits. Whole bags of lollies.

The second problem is that I get really tired with my job, and don't get much time or have much motivation and energy for exercise. I'd like to spend all of my spare time curled up sleeping or reading a book.

The Plan

  • A weekly weigh-in. I'll record my progress here on the blog. Confession time.
  • Eat 3 low calorie meals a day plus 2 snacks.
  • Record the good and bad here on the blog.
  • Learn lots of new recipes and share them here on the blog.
  • Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Rain, snow, hail or sun.
  • Only eat "junk food" occasionally and eat single portion sized amounts (this is going to be the tricky one).
  • Eat masses of fruit and veges, and watch portions with everything else.

Any advice, recipe, ideas and encouragement would be greatly received. And if you want to confess your sins (or weight once a week) I'd be happy to return the support.

The Goal

  • To improve my eating habits.
  • To eliminate junk food binges.
  • To increase my exercise.
  • To eat masses of fruit and veges.
  • To lose weight. My goal weight is the weight at which I last felt really comfortable, is healthy for my height and still has curves.

Goal weight 63kg

Current weight (oh dear, so far to go) 83.5kg. Next weigh in is Sunday next weekend. Wish me luck. XXX

2 comments:

RubyTwoShoes said...

..you can do it, and I am going to do it with you.
Can I just suggest your goal weight might be a little low...the reason I say this is that the WW goal range for your height ranges from something like 58 to 71kg...somewhere in between is to be aimed for or higher/lower depending on body shape etc...I know you say that 63 was great and you were curvy and healthy...I would aim for 67 to start with...I think you have to remember age as well. I think at 67 you would be a good curvy size 12..very healthy. Anyway, see how you go. I am with you all the way...might even brave the scales myself!!

Anonymous said...

Good on you Mrs PB!! I think it's a fantastic idea to record your progress and recipes etc on this blog. Makes so much sense and is a way for you to keep on track and be honest.

I need to think about doing this too - last year I lost 12kg when I only worked part-time and went to Shaun, my delicious personal trainer who tortured me 4 times a week. Unfortunately he desserted me for his OE and since then I have put nearly 8kgs back on. Whoops.

It is a hard journey, although my appalling discipline is a bit self-sabotaging really.

I am going to think about what I can do to join you :-)

MissM